Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Yo, I tell you what I want, what I really, really want

I just got home from running errands and on my way home I couldn't find a single good song on the radio. So I just silenced it and drove listening to my thoughts (a little scary). I started to wonder, does anyone ever really know what they want? I mean, to me it seems like if you asked anyone what they want, most people could tell you. But, if you were to follow them closely and see what happened after they achieved or received what they originally said they wanted, would they really be satisfied? 


Now, this is where I really start to think. Does this mean that as humans, we never really know what we want and we were wrong all along, we just had to get what we thought we wanted to realize its not really what we want? Or, is it just the human nature to never really be satisfied, and as soon as we reach a goal or get what we want, we automatically want something more?

For example, I have been running races for a few months now, and I have really been training hardcore to better my time. I wanted, more than anything, to finish a race in less than 30 min. Last weekend, I finished in 29:24. As soon as it was over (almost before I even had a moment to enjoy my victory), I was setting a new "I want." Now, I want to finish in less than 25 min, and I want to place in the top 3 in my age group. What's after that?? 


In my opinion, the human mind just always strives to be happier. So, I guess if we are constantly wanting something more out of life, and we are constantly achieving and meeting those wants then we are constantly feeling that gratification. And everyone knows gratification makes you happier. Part of being happy is also being content with who you are and having self confidence. I guess that's one more reason we all want more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment